Monday 15 April 2013

My Manifesto






A common stereotype about Graphic design is that the computer does everything; I strongly disagree because the computer and modern software are used as a tool. I am a strong believer in starting with pen or pencil when I receive a brief. I prefer to design by hand and then use the computer if it will help my design to communicate a certain message. I enjoy being hands on with my work and find that pieces of work designed by hand are more personal and have a sense of charm about them. I decided to create some collages because I have always enjoyed the process of manipulating readymade images to create something new. All three collages contain three male heads that I came across in a 1950’s newspaper; I thought these heads would be striking incorporated into a more modern setting to create an interesting contrast. The top 2 are collaged with images I found in fashion magazines and the last a photograph I had taken whilst in the Northern Quarter. I thought the most successful was the top collage. The colours and subtle and complement each other nicely, in addition to this the three connected heads placed at the top of the suit (which had been torn up and put back together to add texture) create a weird but dynamic composition that catches your eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment