Tuesday 7 May 2013

AWOL Zine Designs


For these two designs I returned to the cut out circle design but experimented with filling the circle with another image. For the first design (top) I used another photograph I had taken whilst in the Northern Quarter. I chose that photograph because it consists of the quirky and recognisable sculpture that is situated outside the Afflecks palace. I liked the idea of have two images in one however these two images clash as there is too much going on. I remember looking at some of Joseba Elorza’s work and commenting on his use of colour when combining two photographs. The colours from both images complement creating a harmonious composition. I feel this was the main downfall of my design; the colours don’t complement each other which then disrupts the aesthetical look of the piece.
I feel there is a strong contrast between the Northern Quarter and the rest of the city centre; it can feel as though you’re on a different plant. Taking this concept on board I incorporated a moon into my images to re-enforce the concept of the Northern Quarter being a different planet with it’s own moon. Referring back to the previous experiment that depicted the photograph of the bikes cropped in to a circle, I took the same image and layered an image of a moon on top using a low opacity. I thought the image is simple but quite interesting. I particularly like the hazy effect the layering created; it distorts the image in a subtle way that forces the viewer concentrate in order to decode what they are looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment