Tuesday 7 May 2013

AWOL Zine Designs

Returning to a previous concept about individualism, I took the man from that design and multiplied him several times. I wanted to keep the image of the buildings as his head and then multiply his body to create a weird but eye catching design. I thought the composition worked really nicely, the repetition of his collar in particular created an interesting and dizzying effect.  I like how his multiplied bodies are positioned behind his original body to create a fan out style.

 

After presenting some of my work to the AWOL team, they all really liked multiplied body and thought it would look interesting as a complete circle. So I experimented with creating a full circle of this man’s body. Referencing my artist research I looked back at one of Sammy Slabbinck’s designs that featured multiple hands creating a circle. Slabbinck’s design was energetic but also had a sense of balance at the same time; the composition wasn’t overwhelming. I tried to incorporate some balance into this design (top) by placing all the bodies individually however; this approach looked rather messy and uneven. As a result I choose to reflect the image and I felt that the outcome was a success. All the bodies spiralling around the buildings image in the centre create a really intriguing pattern that attracts the eyes attention, particularly the arms as they are so closely placed together which intensifies that dizzying effect. As improvement to this design, I would have enlarged the circular image in the centre as it is almost lost due to the business of the composition.   

No comments:

Post a Comment